The 4WDABC AGM will be held via Zoom at 10:00 AM on March 18, 2023. This year’s elections will be for six Director positions and an appointment for the Treasurer position.
Open Director Positions for Election for the 2023 4WDABC AGM:
- Vice President (2-year term) (Incumbent VP is not seeking re-election)
- Communications (2-year term)
- Regions Director (2-year term)
- Director at Large (2-year term)
- Membership (to fill the remaining year of the term made vacant by Pete Goudswaard’s resignation; the incumbent appointee is not seeking election)
- Merchandise (to fill the remaining year of the term made vacant by Jeff Courtney’s resignation).
Open Director Positions for Appointment:
- Treasurer (seeking new appointee) – following the bylaw revisions, the role of treasurer is now an appointed position due to the specialized knowledge and skill set required for success in this position.
Nomination, Campaigning, and Voting Procedures and Timelines:
- Nominations will be accepted from Sunday, February 26, through Friday, March 3, 2023.
- Anyone interested in running for any of the open positions must have a current membership and be over the age of majority (19).
- All interested candidates must submit their intentions, along with a biography (and in the case of the Treasurer position, a detailed description of their qualifications) to email@example.com before midnight on Friday, March 3 2023.
- The campaign period will run from Sunday, March 5, 2021, through Friday, March 10, 2021
- Nominee biographies will be posted to our website for members’ viewing.
- Candidate Q&As will be handled via comments on those posts.
- Electronic voting will take place from Sunday, March 12, 2021, through Thursday, March 16, 2021, ending at midnight PST.
- In order to engage our members province-wide, electronic voting is used by the 4WDABC for elections to our board of directors and for special resolutions.
- Currently, the process includes exporting a list of active members from the database and importing it into the voting system, which then sends each member a unique link used to cast their ballots.
- In order to be eligible to participate in the electronic vote, members must have active membership status as of midnight, March 11, 2023, when that list will be exported.
- The AGM will be held via Zoom at 10:00 AM on Saturday, March 18, 2021.
- The results of the vote will be announced during the meeting.
Descriptions of the Positions
You will find descriptions of the positions below. Further details regarding the positions may be found in our bylaws and may provide additional context. If there are other questions about the positions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Vice President (current incumbent Richard Sheridan has notified the Board that he will not be running for re-election)
- The Vice President shall assume the duties of the President in the event the President is unable to attend meetings and/or functions.
- The Vice President shall Chair the annual general meeting.
- The Vice President shall ensure that meetings follow procedures and protocols as per Robert’s Rules of Order.
- The Vice President shall coordinate and ensure compliance with the Constitution, Bylaws, and the Societies Act.
- The Vice President shall act as liaison with four-wheel drive clubs, particularly those which are members of the Association.
- The Vice President shall perform other roles as defined and agreed to by the Board of Directors.
2) Treasurer (current incumbent Kristina Wheeler)
The successful appointee must have knowledge of and experience with bookkeeping practices and basic accounting principles.
- The Treasurer shall have charge of all deeds, contracts, bonds, certificates, securities, and muniments of title belonging to the Association.
- The Treasurer shall keep financial records, including books of account, necessary to comply with the Society Act.
- The Treasurer shall render financial statements and other reports to the Directors, members and others when required, and
- The Treasurer, if directed by the majority of the voting members in person at the general meeting, be bonded in an amount equivalent to or greater than the general account balance.
- The Treasurer shall ensure that funds of the Four Wheel Drive Association of British Columbia shall be deposited only into a Four Wheel Drive Association of British Columbia account in a recognized financial institution approved by the Board of Directors.
- Funds so deposited may be drawn out on the signatures of any two of three or more authorized signatories as designated by the Board of Directors.
- The financial records are to be inspected on an annual basis by an independent, non-related third party chosen by the board of directors, to commence immediately following the end of the fiscal year.
- Maintains Society online payment account system to transfer funds for timely deposit into the Four Wheel Drive Association of British Columbia bank account.
1) Communications (current incumbent Matt Ion)
- Handles the Association’s social media accounts.
- Maintains Association website.
- Monitors Association forum(s).
- Maintains Association email system.
- Coordinates production of Association magazine, the Backroader.
- Creates and distributes E-newsletters.
2) Regions (current incumbent Jason Belanger)
- Coordinates the appointment of Regional Officers for each of the nine regions in British Columbia:
– 1 – Vancouver Island
– 2 – Lower Mainland
– 3 – Thompson-Nicola
– 4 – Kootenay
– 5 – Cariboo
– 6 – Skeena
– 7a – Omineca
– 7b – Peace
– 8 – Okanagan
- Coordinates with the Regional Officers to bring business of interest to members and their concerns to the Board of Directors
- Coordinates and publicizes events in all regions, particularly our own.
- Coordinates the signing of waivers and placement of insurance for all events supported by the Four Wheel Drive Association of British Columbia.
- Acquires the appropriate permissions and control keys for events requiring those.
3) Merchandise (current appointee Mary Austin)
- Coordinates creative concepts for merchandising
- Coordinates implementation and design by getting quotes on costs and times
- Coordinates promotion of sales of merchandise
- Coordinates ordering of the appropriate stock
- Coordinates the warehousing, storage, and inventory control of our merchandise
- Coordinates packaging, shipping, and other distribution of our merchandise
- Coordinates with the Treasurer on receipts and remuneration from merchandise
4) Membership (current appointee Dawn Tyacke – not running for re-election)
- Generates memberships within all four classes (Individual, Club, Associate, and Corporate).
- Promotes, solicits, and liaises with Corporate Sustaining Members.
- Approves electronically submitted applications and forwards any requiring review to the board to approve or deny where necessary.
- Ensures membership renewal notices are sent automatically. Coordinates with Communications or Webmaster where required to ensure renewal notices are being delivered.
- Maintains database of all members, including name, address, email, and phone/cellular information according to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Regulations. All email communication that is sent out en masse SHALL BE BY BCC (blind carbon copy) ONLY.
- Responds to membership questions in a timely manner, whether on social media or by email, while promoting best practices and welcoming all backcountry users.
- Coordinates with the mailing service to ensure timely shipment of member packages or other mailings as determined by the board.
- Ensures accuracy of the membership database, corrects errors and inefficiencies, and ensures accurate and efficient export and communication of membership data for reporting and shipping.
- Validates membership at meetings.
- Conducts an exit questionnaire for those not renewing their membership.
5) Director At Large (current incumbent Brian Pratt)
The Director at Large position has not been provided with a fixed portfolio; instead, it will be developed to accommodate both the skill sets of the individual who fills the role; and the Association’s many dynamic needs. The 4WDABC continues to experience exponential year-over-year growth, and this role will evolve in response to needs.
Should you have any questions or require additional information, please contact email@example.com.